Saturday 29 December 2012

The inventor and his companion



I was rummaging around in my little store room today, and I pulled out a half-finished painting I had forgotten about and lifted it onto my easel.  It's about 60-70% done..........maybe I should finish it. 

I like paintings with meanings or narratives (that is not to say that I don't enjoy art without these things).  I like characters and something to build a story around.  

In my head I conjured up an image of man with a little mechanic bird resting on his hand..............


****************************


 There was once an inventor who lived alone, up in a home amidst the rooftops of Paris.   He was used to being by himself, but eventually he felt the pangs of loneliness, and it drove him to create a little mechanical friend.......a little bird which wouldn't fly away like the rest, a companion that would stay with him..........

The little bird was kept in a golden cage, and woke up the inventor every morning with its song so he could start work.......  
but after a while, he saw that his little friend looked on to its natural counterparts with envy.  Without room to fly, its wings became harder to move and the little bird became sad, and so it stopped singing in the mornings.......


....then one day, the inventor decided to do what was best for his little companion's happiness, even though he would miss him.   He went to the window, and opened the cage............

.......the little bird hopped on to the inventor's hand and looked up at to him .  The inventor bid fairwell to his companion, and let it fly away.......



****************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin