Sunday 17 February 2013

The Fool - almost finished





I started this painting a while ago, and it's almost finished.  I got my inspiration from 'The Fool' card in Tarot, and turned it into something else.  I'm not someone who reads Tarot, but I'm interested in the symbolism and the archetypes.  For me, they conjure up stories in my imagination. 

The woman is stepping over a cliff, eyes closed into the unknown.  Beneath her, is seems like there's a drop featuring the sea in the distance.

 Her expression is carefree, with no worries in mind.  She's carrying a little suitcase/briefcase with her, with an image of a wheel on it - a bag full of hopes and resources for her destination.    Her dress is melting away into butterflies, a symbol of transformation.

Someone could look at this painting, and think, 'Is she committing suicide?'...........but we don't know.  We can't really see what's underneath that portion of the cliff.

For me, The Fool is about taking risks and about bravery to seek new opportunities, or perhaps to go on a journey.  As with taking any new opportunity, it comes with risk.

It might be a naive decision leading to disaster, or be the best path she's ever set foot on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin