Sunday 7 April 2013

Battlestar Galactica

Ok, I think I'm a bit behind with the times here, but I've finally finished watching Battlestar Glactica.  At first, I was sceptical because I'm not into StarWars or Startrek, but I got dragged into watching it.

 It's a drama series about an epic war between humans and cylons (artificial life which come in various forms).

I won't give too much away in this review, but it's one of the best series I've ever watched.

 Big themes that run throughout the series are technological advancement, hope, religion, politics, myths, the good and ugly side of human nature, forgiveness, prejudice and the origin and meaning of life.  It raises some philosophical questions about what makes us human beings.  Is it our flesh and blood, or is it our mind and emotions?  It explores the fears that people have about artificial intelligence, the consequence of bestowing that intelligence and what we're willing to tolerate or ignore when we think of something else as being different to ourselves. 

There were some episodes that seemed pointless or boring.  There where some characters that were cheesy and some of the scriptwriting started to get weak around half-way through the series - I was getting impatient with it.    Sometimes I sat there thinking 'What the fuck is this?!!' at some silly character or poor piece of dialogue........but on the whole, it's a damn good series.  

For one thing, it actually has interesting female characters!   Some of the main characters are female, and they're not there just to make the male characters look fabulous or interesting - they're interesting in their own right.  They're not side-show pieces. I had to roll my eyes at the first fee episodes (it seemed like one character was made to draw in the young, teenage male red-blooded type), but I was encouraged to to stick with it, and I'm glad I did. 

Some people were unhappy with the ending and I must admit I was expecting something different.  Also, it seemed at times like there were plot mistakes or problems with continuity.   There were some plot features that were totally ignored - like they would discover something huge and important in one episode, but had no mention of it in the next episode, like the writers had just forgotten about it.   There was plot that could have gone on for a good 3-5 episodes but was confined to one.  The one I'm referring to is the one showing terrible working conditions, and how class systems in their word determine their fate and how it enhances or cripples educational opportunities. 

Overall, the series is exciting & thrilling but also sad in places.   The acting was also generally of a high standard and it was nice to see some unknown faces acting these parts.   I was fortunate to have the box-set and I could have easily watched three episodes in a row at times, but managed to discipline myself into watching just two each time.  Having watched so much of it in the last few months, now I have to find something to fill the gap!! :(





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin