Tuesday 14 May 2013

Castle Combe - Part 1

During my day-out last week, we went to Castle Combe.  This small, quaint village was used as a film location for The War Horse.  This isn't why we visited the village though - it was just somewhere small and pretty that was close to Bath.  I don't have a clip of the village as it was used in the film, but I suppose if you've seen the film, you'll recogniose this place. 

We went walking a little up the hill where we saw a lot of wild garlic growing.  The smell it gives off when you crush the flowers is wonderful!  Anyway, here are the pictures -




The rulers of Castle Combe..........


These cats live in a house next door to the church in the village.

A few doors down, there were two small tables in front of a tiny cottage right next to the church entrance.  There was a variety of cakes on them, all of which had been home baked......chocolate fudge cake, lemon cake, and bread cake.   Behind the tables there was a sign stuck onto a door saying the cakes cost £1.50, and that this feature depended on trust (I believe the proceeds we went to the conservation of the church).  So I got out my £1.50 and pushed it through the letterbox, as directed.  I chose lemon cake which was very, very good!  Really soft and very moist with a lot of lemon flavour.  Yumm!









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin